Thursday 7 April 2011

Single artwork thought process

The first things I needed to do in the process of creating my single cover was what it would feature. For each idea, I wanted to make sure I incorporated the band name, however not necessarily an single name. As for opening ideas, it is easier to keep the single name out of it, which allows me to keep more ideas included if it doesn't have to relate to the single name just yet.
I wanted to include items which would relate to The Skints location; East London, Britain. This included urban streets, the Union Jack, the London Underground sign, postcode features, street signs etc.
I also had to make a decision whether to have the single artwork as a political message, or simply a piece of eye-candy. The Skints' previous album cover for Live, Breathe, Build, Believe was somewhere in between in aesthetics. The cover had a slightly dark look, yet the message was simple and certain 'cartoony' features kept it balanced. The message is reteaching people how to live care-free. The cover is below.


I have always felt at home with Photoshop, and have been known to create music artwork as a pass time, so I am looking forward to engaging myself with an effective piece of single artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment